The prize awarding ceremony was held at the Opera House in Cairo under the auspices of the Egyptian Minister of Culture Mr. Farouq Hosni. A large number of poets, writers, critics, as well as press and media men attended the ceremony.
The prizes were awarded as follows:
1. The Poetic Creativity Prize, valued at EP 60,000 (Egyptian Pounds sixty thousand), was won by the Egyptian poet Abdulaleem Al-Qabbani for his complete poetic works.
2. The Poetry Criticism Prize, valued at EP 60,000 (Egyptian Pound sixty thousand), was won jointly by the Egyptian critics Dr. Mohammed Fattouh Ahmed and Dr. Mohammed Abdulmottaleb for their complete critical works.
3. Classical Poetry Excellence Prize, valued at EP 20,000 (Egyptian Pounds twenty thousand), was won jointly by the Egyptian poet Shawki Haikal for his book of verse «A Passage to Two Eyes» and the Egyptian poet Ismael Oqab for his collection «She and the Sea».
4. The Excellence in Free Rhyme Poetry Prize, valued at EP 20,000 (Egyptian Pounds twenty thousand), was won by the Syrian poet Hassan Attwan for his poetry collection «Blood Baptism».
5. The Best Poem Prize, valued at EP 20,000 (Egyptian Pounds twenty thousand), was won jointly by the Saudi poet Habib Bin Moalla Al-Motairi for his poem «With no Title» and the Egyptian poet Rabeh Lotfi Juma for his poem «Kuwait’s Liberation».
* It is noteworthy, in this respect, that the value of the prize in the second session was more than doubled that of the first session. The value of the prizes totaled EP 180,000 (Egyptian Pounds one hundred and eighty thousand.)