The 17th Poetry Competition organized by Abdulaziz Saud Albabtain Cultural Foundation is announced
August 31, 2018
Abdulaziz Saud Albabtain Cultural Foundation announces the commencement of its 17th Poetry Competition, with the following categories and conditions:
1. Creativity in Poetry Critique Award: Valued at forty thousand dollars, this award is granted to an exceptional poetry critic or scholar who has made a significant contribution in analyzing poetic texts or presenting a new perspective on a specific poetic phenomenon based on scholarly foundations.
The applicant must nominate one of their works for consideration and may submit the rest for review.
Nominated works should not be part of a master's or doctoral thesis and should have been published within the last ten years, ending on June 30, 2019.
2. Best Poetry Collection Award: Valued at twenty thousand dollars, this award is given to the author of the best poetry collection published within the last five years, ending on June 30, 2019.
Contestants are allowed to submit only one published poetry collection for consideration.
3. Best Poem Award: Valued at ten thousand dollars, this award is presented to the author of the best poem published in its entirety in one of the literary magazines, newspapers, poetry collections, or independent books within the two years ending on June 30, 2019.
Contestants may submit only one poem, accompanied by the published original, and poems published in promotional or advertising materials will not be accepted.
Two Awards for Young Poets:
In order to provide opportunities for young poets and those under the age of 35 with poetic talent, the Foundation announces two additional awards:
1. Best Poetry Collection Award for Young Poets: Valued at ten thousand dollars.
2. Best Poem Award for Young Poets: Valued at five thousand dollars. The work must be published in print, adhering to the general conditions of the foundation's awards mentioned in this announcement.
Honorary Award for Poetic Creativity: Valued at fifty thousand dollars, this award is presented to a poet who has significantly enriched the movement of Arabic poetry. The selection process is not subject to arbitration but follows a specific mechanism determined and overseen by the President of the Board of Trustees, with nominations being made solely by members of the Board of Trustees.
1. Submissions are only accepted in classical Arabic language.
2. Each contestant may apply to one category only.
3. The contestant must submit eight copies of their work for consideration for the award.
4. Collaborative works involving multiple individuals will not be accepted.
5. The contestant should send a direct letter to the Foundation stating their desire to compete in a specific category, specifying the work they are submitting for the competition. Universities and cultural institutions, both governmental and private, may nominate individuals, provided they include the nominee's written consent.
6. The contestant should provide a separate curriculum vitae, independent of the nomination letter, including: their nickname, full name as shown on the travel document, date and place of birth, postal address, phone number, creative works, and three recent passport-sized photographs (10cm * 15cm).
7. Winners of any previous Arab award are not eligible to compete in the same category until three years have passed since their last win. They must submit a different work than the one for which they won the previous award. The contestant must state in their nomination letter that the work they are submitting has not won any previous Arab awards. If found otherwise, the Foundation has the right to cancel the contestant's submission.
8. Judges who have participated in evaluating the Foundation's awards are not eligible to compete in any category until two cycles have passed since their last involvement in the judging process.
9. The Foundation is not obligated to return submitted works. It has the right to republish the winning poems and select works by the winners.
10. The deadline for submitting to the award categories is the end of June 30, 2019.
11. The results will be announced in the second half of the year 2019.
The submissions will be presented to specialized judging panels for each category of the award, after ensuring their compliance with the announced conditions. The decisions of the judging panels are final and will be approved by the Board of Trustees.
Paper copies of the applications and nominations for the Foundation's awards should be sent, addressed to the Secretary-General of the Foundation, to one of the following addresses:
P.O. Box 599, Safat 13006
Phone: (+965) 22415172
Fax: (+965) 22455039
P.O. Box 509, Dokki 12311, Giza - Egypt
Phone: (+202) 33030788
Fax: (+202) 33027335